The Saskatoon Horticultural Society (SHS) invites applications from future Master Gardeners for scholarship funding to complete their University of Saskatchewan Master Gardener program. These scholarships will be awarded annually. Funds will be distributed to the successful applicants(s) in the form of reimbursement for the initial registration fee and each of the 7 core workshops after successful challenge of the exam, to a maximum re-imbursement of $600.
1. The individual(s) must be an enthusiastic gardener willing to share their time and garden knowledge with others.
2. The successful applicant(s) must be members of the Saskatoon Horticultural Society in good standing and willing to serve 20 volunteer hours in providing assistance as requested on various projects that are done within the Society. The successful applicant(s) will submit a log of their volunteer hours to be eligible for the scholarship.
3. To be eligible for reimbursement under this scholarship, successful applicants must complete the Master Gardener workshops within 4 years of the starting date. Re-imbursement will be given when the applicant has completed all of the core classes and has successfully completed the take home exam.
4. Official receipts issued by the program for Home Study and workshops only must be submitted to the SHS. The official receipts will be returned to the participant(s) with the cheque.
5. Each awarded scholarship will be a maximum of $600.00.
6. Applications must be received by March 31st and/or August 31st of each year. To apply for this scholarship please complete the following application. Please contact the President or any other Director for further directions or information.
Saskatoon Horticultural Society
P. O. Box 161
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan S7K 3K4
Current or Past Directors of the SHS are not excluded from applying for the scholarship and will be subjected to the same guidelines as all participants.
7. Applicants who were not awarded a scholarship in the spring may ask for their application to be held until the Fall. A maximum of two scholarships will be awarded each year.
8. The Award Committee will consist of 3 to 4 Directors and or Members at Large who will be responsible for the administration of the Master Gardener Scholarship and for the final selection of the award winners. Their decision is final.
9. The Master Gardener Scholarship will be publicized annually. The coverage may include SHS website, SHS events, e-mail, SHS Newsletter, The Gardener Magazine and the Master Gardener Newsletter.
10. The Master Gardener Scholarship Award records will be maintained by the Scholarship Committee.
University of Saskatchewan Master Gardener Program
51 Campus Drive Room 2D30, Saskatoon, SK S7N 5A8
The Saskatoon Horticultural Society (SHS) invites applications for scholarship funding to complete their Saskatchewan Prairie Horticultural Certificate (PHC). A scholarship will be awarded annually. Funds will be awarded to the successful applicant in the form of reimbursement for the initial registration fee and each of the 9 required courses up to the stated amount below.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
Individuals must be an enthusiastic Horticulturalist willing to share his/her time and gardening with others
The applicant will volunteer 20 hours with a Horticultural Society in Saskatchewan.
To be eligible for reimbursement under this scholarship the successful applicant must be registered through the University of Saskatchewan and complete the program within 4 to 5 years and must be a Saskatchewan resident.
Official receipts plus transcripts showing successful completion of classes issued by the University Registrar must be submitted to the SHS. The first reimbursement will be given for the registration fee and the first 5classes and the second reimbursement will be issued after the last 4 classes, which will complete the program. The official receipts will be returned to the scholarship recipient with the cheque.
Applicants for the scholarship must have completed the 2 required classes of Botany and Soil Science for all 4 strands in the PHC program before applying.
The scholarship will be $1,000.00 in total and one scholarship is issued per University academic year.
Applications must be received by September 30 To apply for this scholarship, please fill out the attached application form and written essay.
Current and Past Directors of the SHS are not excluded from applying for the scholarship and will be subjected to the same guidelines as all applicants. Any applicant may contact the President or any other Director for further information and/or directions.
The successful applicant will be contacted within 30 to 60 days of deadline date of September 30th. Announcement of the award will be made and presented at the SHS AGM.
The Award Committee will consist of 3 to 4 Directors and/or Members at Large who will be responsible for the administration of the Scholarship and for the final selection of the scholarship recipient. A log of the Scholarship Awards shall be kept by both, the Award Committee and SHS Treasurer.
The PHC Scholarship will be publicized annually. The coverage will include the SHS website, e-mail, Members Newsletter, PHC students, The Gardener for the Prairies, U of S Horticultural Club, U of S Biology Club and all SHS events and media coverage.